浏览器系统错误:-1072896658(Explorer system error: -1072896658)
Don’t you love when explorer express its griefs in such a clear and helpful way?
A was putting the last touches to the new "Search place" code, and it
was working beautifully in Firefox and in Explorer, when I faced a
problem in Safari. The query to the database that retrieves the name
of places that match the user search came back with the accents
Safari thought the received page, that I was retrieving with
XMLHttpRequest behind the scenes, was encoded in ISO-8859-1 (or most
probably, -15) when I was serving it in UTF-8.
Fair enough, I just have to put the header "Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=utf8″ in the reply, and sure enough, Safari was now working
like a charm.
But then, the search stopped working at all in Internet Explorer! I
was getting a weird error in the status bar:
Explorer system error: -1072896658
This thing popped when I tried to access the responseText of the
request object. After I googled a bit this error code, I found that it
was due to the XMLHttpRequest control receiving a reply on an unknown
encoding. Please guys, next time put a message like:
XMLHttpRequest requested document was in the unknown "utf8″ encoding.
See the list of accepted encodings.
It turns out the charset should be UTF-8, and not utf8. Fixed it, and
now it is happily working on these 3 browsers.
Update: Attentive reader Johan Sundström pointed out that I was
missing the "text/plain; charset=" part on the Content-Type. I should
really double check my blog entries before posting them.
This entry was posted on Sunday, October 30th, 2005 at 10:59 pm and is
filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry
through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from
your own site.
6 Responses to "Explorer system error: -1072896658"
1. Johan Sundström Says:
November 2nd, 2005 at 11:10 am
Shouldn’t that rather be Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
2. Joaquín Cuenca Abela Says:
November 2nd, 2005 at 11:32 am
yes, it should be Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8, thank
you for the catch! I wrote this entry in a hurry and I missed it